Raym & Chicchan Richards,
Byron Bay,Australia -
"During our Travel to Bhutan, Yak Holidays provided us with exceptional service from start to finish. The itinerary they created was great and it was flexible!Their driver “Druk” Tempa was patient and considerate and their guide..." Read More
Pacific Grove, CA 93950\ USA -
"What a special Bhutan Travel experience....Bhutan is incredibly beautiful, the people spontaneously friendly, the culture gentle, spiritual and inspirational. I was deeply touched by it all and had a wonderful time. Whenever life gets too hectic, I..." Read More
Brimingham,Mi 48009, USA -
"Thank you for a wonderful travel to Bhutan! My son and I thoroughly enjoyed it ? we are still talking about it and recommending it to everyone. Attached is Matt?s evaluation form, as well as mine...." Read More
Mexico City, Mexico -
"Hello my friend of Yak Holidays.I think you remember me, I travelled to Bhutan with your agency. I see recently on your web site the Comments section. I think you should add this..." Read More
Facts about the Tour / Trek:
Duration: 13 nights / 14 days.
Accommodation: Hotels, Resorts and Tents.
Activity Type: Walking, Trekking & Tour.
Difficulty Level: Strenuous.
Group size: Minimum 2 pax.
Best Months to do this Trek: March - June, September - 2nd Week of December.
This is a classic 9-day Trek starting from (Drugyal Dzong) Paro and end at Dodena near Thimphu. The route passes through two high passes from Jangothang. The view of Jumolhari Mountain (7314 M) from Jangothang is spectacular. The Trek is strenuous and is very popular. The highest point is 4115 M.
- Representative from Yak Holidays will receive you,
- After lunch, visit Rimpung Dzong (Paro Dzong) built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal.
- Visit the Ta dzong, an ancient watchtower, which has been since 1967, the National Museum of Bhutan
Day 02. Paro sightseeing - Hike to Taktsang Monastery (The Tiger's Nest):
- Excursion to Taktsang Monastery (The Tiger's Nest).
- Drive to the ruins of Drukgyel dzong, now in ruins was built by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal.
Day 03. Paro - Shana (Start of Trek):
Altitude 2,850 m; Distance 17 Km; Time 5 - 6 hours (Ascent 360 meters, Descent 80 meters)
- Trek to Shana starts at Drukgyal Dzong at 2580 meters following the Paro river,
- Overnight at camp Shana.
Day 04. Shana - Thangthangka
Altitude: 3610 m; Distance 22 Km; Time 7 - 8 hours. (Ascent 770 meters, Descent 10 meters)
- The trail follows the river through a heavily forested area with a few isolated farmhouses.
- We Pass a junction enroute, where another path leads north over the Tremo La to Tibet.
- Camp is in a meadow with a stone shelter.
Day 05. Thangthangka - Jangothang:
Altitude: 4080 m; Distance 19 Kms; Time 5 - 6 hours. (Ascent 480 meters)
- After passing a small army post, the trail slowly leaves the forest line and gradually climbs into a beautiful valley, passing Tegethang,a winter home of yak herdsmen.
- Lots of yaks will be seen today before we arrive at the Jhomolhari base camp (4,115 m).
Day 06. Jangothang: Rest day at Jangothang, enjoy the superb view all around.
For Day hikes, you have 3 options on this day at Jangothang.
1. Hike to Jumolhari Glacier which is around 4 ½ hours (Back and forth)
2. Hike to Jichu Drake Glacier which is around 3 hours (Back and Forth).
3. Walk up the mountain between Jumolhari and Jichu Drake, the summit is at 5200 meters with a great view of both the mountains. This is 8 hours (Back and forth).
Day 07. Jangothang - Lingshi:
Camp altitude is 4010 meters. 18 kms, walking time: 6-7 hours, Ascent 840 meters, Descent: 870 meters.
- The trail follows the stream for half an hour and crosses the bridge,
- Start the climb up to the first ridge with a breathtaking view of Jumolhari, JichuDrakey and Tsrim Ghang.
- Climb to the Nyeley la pass at an altitude of 4,700 meters.
- After the pass it's a gradual descent to the Lingshi camp, enjoying the panorama view of the peaks and Lingshi dzong.
Day 08. Lingshi - Shodu:
Camp at Shodu: 4080 meters. Distance: 22 kms, 8-9 hours walk. (Ascent 940 meters, Descent 920 meters).
- The trail today climbs to Yalila Pass (4930 m), from where on a clear day, impressive views of Mount Jumolhari, Tserim Kang and Masagang can be seen.
Day 09. Shodu - Barshong:
Camp at Altitude: 3710 meters. 16 kms. Walking time 5-6 hours, Ascent 250 meters, Descent: 670 meters.
- The path follows the Thimphu River, descending through rhododendron, juniper and other alpine forest.
- The view of the cliff facing rocks and waterfalls are stunning.
- The trail gradually ascends to the ruins of the Barshong dzong, reaching the camp.
Day 10. Barshong - Dolamkencho:
Camp at the altitude 3320 meters. 15 kms. Walking time 4-6 hours, Ascent 290 meters, and Descent 640 meters.
- The road descends through alpine forest and climb up to Dolamkencho camp.
Day 11. Dolamkencho - Dodena - Thimphu:
Distance 8 km, 4 hours walk. Ascent 500 meters, Descent 930 meters.
- The path descends through bamboo forests,
- Arrive at Dodena where you will be picked up for the drive to Thimphu.
Day 12. Thimphu sightseeing:
Visit to the National Memorial Chorten (1974) built in honour of our late King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk,
- The Dupthop Lhakhang one of the few surviving nunneries in Bhutan.
- Visit the National Library,
- Painting School where traditional art is still kept alive,
- Traditional Medicine Institute where medicines are prepared according to ancient practices,
- Lungtenzampa to observe the Royal silver smiths,
- Bhutanese paper factory at work.
- Other highlights include a visit to the Tashichho Dzong,
- Visit the Handicrafts Emporium followed by shopping for souvenirs in the shops of Thimphu.
Day 13. Thimphu- Punakha - Thimphu: (Altitude 1320 m, Distance 72 Kms, 2 hours drive).
Drive to Punakha via Dochula pass. If the weather is clear,
- Visit Punakha Dzong built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and is situated between Pho Chu (Male River) and Mo Chu (Female River).
ADay 14. Thimphu - Paro Airport (Departure):
Early morning, drive to the airport and farewell.