Raym & Chicchan Richards,
Byron Bay,Australia -
"During our Travel to Bhutan, Yak Holidays provided us with exceptional service from start to finish. The itinerary they created was great and it was flexible!Their driver “Druk” Tempa was patient and considerate and their guide..." Read More
Pacific Grove, CA 93950\ USA -
"What a special Bhutan Travel experience....Bhutan is incredibly beautiful, the people spontaneously friendly, the culture gentle, spiritual and inspirational. I was deeply touched by it all and had a wonderful time. Whenever life gets too hectic, I..." Read More
Brimingham,Mi 48009, USA -
"Thank you for a wonderful travel to Bhutan! My son and I thoroughly enjoyed it ? we are still talking about it and recommending it to everyone. Attached is Matt?s evaluation form, as well as mine...." Read More
Mexico City, Mexico -
"Hello my friend of Yak Holidays.I think you remember me, I travelled to Bhutan with your agency. I see recently on your web site the Comments section. I think you should add this..." Read More
Facts about the Tour / Trek:
Trek Duration: 8 days
Total Duration: 15 days
Activity Type: Walking, Trekking
Difficulty Level: Strenuous
Group size: Minimum 2 pax
Best Months to do this Trek: March - May, September - 2nd week of December
This Trek route is a very popular, passing through Jangothang and the base of Mount. Jumolhari. The Trek Route passes through some of the beautiful high passes and the Yak Herders' camp. The Trekkers can see some of the most spectacular sceneries of the Higher Himalayas including Jichu Drake. You will also have the opportunity to see Blue sheep and other wild life in these areas.
Day 01. Arrive Paro. (Altitude 2280 m) (By Druk Air flight):
- Yak Holidays will receive you at the airport,
- After lunch, visit Ta Dzong (built in1656 and renovated in 1968), an ancient watchtower,
- The Rimpung Dzong (literally meaning "Heap of Jewels"), the centre of civil and religious authority in this valley, built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal.
Day 02. Paro Excursion to Taktsang Monastery: (Altitude 2320 m, Distance 58 kms, Drive Time 1 hour):
- Drive to Satsam Chorten,
- Walk a short distance until we see, clearly and seemingly within reach, Taktsang monastery.
Day 03. Paro - Shana (Start of Trek) :( Altitude 2,850 m; Distance 17 Km; Time 5 - 6 hours (360 meters ascent, 80 meters descent)
- Drive to the ruins of the Drukgyal Dzong,
- On the way back, visit Kichu Lhakhang, built in 659 A.D,
- Visit Drugyal Dzong, built in 1647 by the Great Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal,
- Experience an unforgettable view of Mt. Jhomolhari (7,314 m).
- Our trek to Shana starts at Drukgyal Dzong at 2580 meters following the Paro River,
- Camp at Shana.
Day 04. Shana - Thangthangka: (Altitude: 3610 m; Distance 22 Km; Time 7 - 8 hours. (770 meters ascent, 10 meters descent)
- The trail follows the river through a heavily forested area with a few isolated farmhouses,
- Pass a junction enroute, where another path leads north over the Tremo La to Tibet.
- Camp in a meadow with a stone shelter.
Day 05. Thangthangka - Jangothang: (Altitude 4080 m; Distance 19 Kms; Time 5 - 6 hours. (480 meters ascent)
- After passing a small army post, the trail slowly leaves the forest line and gradually climbs into a beautiful valley, passing Tegethang, a winter home of yak herdsmen.
- We arrive at the Jhomolhari base camp (4,115 m).
Day 06. Jangothang:
- Rest day at Jangothang, enjoy the superb view all around.
- For Day hikes, you have 3 options on this day at Jangothang.
- Hike to Jumolhari Glacier which is around 4 ½ hours (Back and forth)
- Hike to Jichu Drake Glacier which is around 3 hours (Back and Forth)
- Walk up the mountain between Jumolhari and Jichu Drake, the summit is at 5200 meters with a great view of both the mountains. This is 8 hours (Back and forth).
Day 07. Jangothang - Dhumzo (Soi Yaktsa) (at 3800 meters via Bonte La pass 4900 meters
Highest Point: 4900 meters, Duration 7 - 8 hours walk, Distance - 16 Kms, Level of Difficulty: Moderately hard).
- The distance of 16 kms and will take around 7 - 8 hours to reach the Dhumzo Camp site.
- View mount Jhomolhari, Jitchu Drake and the valley to Jhomolhari camp site,
- Bonte La (4900m) and is also highest pass of this trek.
- Overnight at the camp.
Day 08. Dhumzo (Soi Yaktsa) - Thombushong (4100 meters) via Tagalun Pass at 4550 meters.
(Highest Point: 4550 meters, Duration 5-6 hours, Distance 14 Km, Level of difficulty: Moderate).
- Climb from the camp through rhododendron, birch, oak forest draped in moss brings you to a meadow with huge Juniper trees,
- View mount Jhomolhari for a short while.
- An hour after can see the campsite at Thombushong
- Overnight in camp.
Day 09. Thombushong to Zankepang at 2600 meter via Thombula pass (4300 meters):
(Highest Point 4300 meters.Duration 7-8 hours, Distance 18 Kms, Level of Difficulty: Moderate (Long downhill, punishment to your knees)
- Climb to Thombula which takes about half an hour,
- Can see the several mountain peaks view from the pass, the closest one being Jo Drake (5980 Meters).
- The camp is another easy 1/1/2 hour from the army camp.
Day 10. Zankepang to Drugyel Dzong: Distance: 7 kms.
- Place where you see off your Trekking staffs and your horse men.
- Walk to the road end for 2 hours only. (End of Trek)
- Drive to Thimphu.
- After lunch, free to strollin the town for shopping and photography.
Day 11. Paro - Thimphu Sightseeing: (Altitude 2320 m, Distance 58 kms, Drive Time 1 hour):
- Visit to the National Memorial Chorten built in (1974)
- The Dupthop Lhakhang one of the few surviving nunneries in Bhutan.
- Visit the National Library,
- The Painting School where traditional art is still kept alive,
- Traditional Medicine Institute where medicines are prepared according to ancient practices,
- to Lungtenzampa to observe the Royal silver smiths
- Bhutanese paper factory at work.
- Other highlights include a visit to the Tashichho Dzong,
- Visit the Handicrafts Emporium followed by shopping for souvenirs in the shops of Thimphu.
Day 12. Thimphu Sightseeing (Altitude 2320 m).
- Visit Folk Heritage Museum,
- Textile Museum, Changangkha Lhakhang and Philatelic office.
- Visit Silver smith at work,
- Handmade paper factory.
Day 13. Thimphu - Punakha: (Altitude 1310 m) (76 Kms, 3 hours drive).
- Drive to Punakha via Dochula pass.
- If the weather is clear, we stop for a while at Dochula pass to view Higher Himalayas.
- On the way, stop a while to view Chimi Lhakhang, "the Temple of Fertility". This was built by Lama Drukpa Kuenley in 15th century.
- Visit Punakha Dzong built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and is situated between Pho Chu (Male River) and Mo Chu (Female River).
Day 14. Punakha - Thimphu
- After breakfast, drive back to Thimphu.
- After Lunch free for shopping and photography in the town.
Day 15. Thimphu - Paro (Departure) : Morning, drive to the airport and farewell.