Raym & Chicchan Richards,
Byron Bay,Australia -
"During our Travel to Bhutan, Yak Holidays provided us with exceptional service from start to finish. The itinerary they created was great and it was flexible!Their driver “Druk” Tempa was patient and considerate and their guide..." Read More
Pacific Grove, CA 93950\ USA -
"What a special Bhutan Travel experience....Bhutan is incredibly beautiful, the people spontaneously friendly, the culture gentle, spiritual and inspirational. I was deeply touched by it all and had a wonderful time. Whenever life gets too hectic, I..." Read More
Brimingham,Mi 48009, USA -
"Thank you for a wonderful travel to Bhutan! My son and I thoroughly enjoyed it ? we are still talking about it and recommending it to everyone. Attached is Matt?s evaluation form, as well as mine...." Read More
Mexico City, Mexico -
"Hello my friend of Yak Holidays.I think you remember me, I travelled to Bhutan with your agency. I see recently on your web site the Comments section. I think you should add this..." Read More
Facts about the Tour / Trek:
Duration: 10 nights / 11 days.
Accommodation: Hotels, Resorts and Tents.
Activity Type: Walking, Trekking & Tour.
Difficulty Level: Easy Trek.
Group size: Minimum 2 pax
Best Months to do this Trek: January - May, September - December.
Phobjikha Valley, at 3000 meters is one of the most beautiful few glacial valleys in the Himalayas. It is the chosen home of the rare black-necked cranes which migrate here in winter from the Tibetan Plateau. The valley of Gangtey is one of the most beautiful places in Bhutan and the Gangtey Gompa monastery is the only Nyingmapa monastery on the western side of the Black mountains. This moderate trek passes through the village of Gogona and Khotokha, through meadows and fields, then forest of juniper, magnolia and rhododendrons. One of the finest low level treks in Bhutan.
Day 01. Arrive Paro 2280 m.
- Representative of Yak Holidays, transfer to the hotel.
- After Lunch, visit Ta Dzong, an ancient watchtower, which now houses the National Museum,
- The Paro Rimpung Dzong, the center of civil and religious authority in this valley.
Day 02. Paro 2280 meters: Excursion to Taktsang.
- Short drive takes us to Satsam Chorten,
- A walk a short distance until we see, clearly and seemingly within reach, Taktsang monastery.
- After Lunch, drive to the ruins of the Drukgyal Dzong 16 km up the valley.
- Experience an unforgettable view of Mt. Jhomolhari (7,314 m).
- On the way back, visit Kichu Lhakhang that was built in 659 by the Tibetan King Srongsen Gampo.
- Evening, drive to Thimphu,
Day 03. Thimphu Sightseeing 2320 m.
- Visit to the National Memorial Chorten built in (1974),
- Dupthop Lhakhang one of the few surviving nunneries in Bhutan.
- Visit the National Library,
- Painting School where traditional art is still kept alive,
- After lunch, drive to Buddha Point to see the Tallest Statue of Buddha in the world,
- Changangkha Lhakhang,
- Takin Preserve Centre
- The View Point.
- Evening, visit to the Tashichho Dzong,
- Visit the Handicrafts Emporium followed by shopping for souvenirs in the shops of Thimphu.
Day 04. Thimphu - Punakha 1310 m. (76 Kms, 3 hours drive).
- Drive to Punakha via Dochula pass.
- If the weather is clear, we stop for a while at Dochula pass to view Higher Himalayas.
- On the way, stop a while to view Chimi Lhakhang, "the Temple of Fertility". This was built by Lama Drukpa Kuenley in 15th century.
- Visit Punakha Dzong built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and is situated between Pho Chu (Male River) and Mo Chu (Female River).
Day 05. (Trek Starts) Punakha - Gangtey Gompa:
- Drive for 2 hours to Gangtey.
- On the way, visit Wangduephodrang Dzong built in 1638.
- Visit Gangtey Gompa Monastery from outside.
- Explore Phobjikha valley, famous for the Black Necked Cranes during winter.
Day 06. Gangey - Gogona 2950 m, Start of Trek - (Distance 15 km, about 6 - 7 hours)
- The trail winds up on a slow climb through field and then ascends the Tselel,
- Then the trail descends gradually for some time trough forest of juniper, bamboo, magnolia and rhododendron.
- After the last short climb you will reach Gogona village.
Day 07. Gogona - Khotokha 2600 m, (Distance 15 - 16 km. Time about 6 - 7 hours).
- Climb up a gentle slope to Shobjula (11,155 ft.)
- Then the path leads down to a wide valley of Khotokha, a summer place of the people of Sha (under district of Wangduephodrang)
Day 08. Khotokha - Chazam - Wangdue
(3 - 4 hrs. walk)
- A short ascend leads to Mulaila pass (9200ft.)
- Then the path descends through ever-changing vegetation till the bridge in Wangdi Phodrang.
- Your trek ends here.
Day 09. Wangdiphodrang - Thimphu (Altitude 2320 m, Distance 76kms.)
- Drive to Thimphu.
- witness Archery Match,
- Visit to Philatelic office.
Day 10. Thimphu - Paro 56 kms:
- Excursion to Cheri Monastery.
- After lunch, drive to Paro.
- On the way, visit Tachog Lhakhang,
- Visit to a Bhutanese Farm House.
- Evening, free to stroll in the town for photography.
Day 11. Departure:
Early morning, drive to the airport and farewell.